|Friday, January 9th, 2009|
Raising awareness of gingerism
I run the non-profit blog at http://gingerism.com
where we're trying to raise awareness of the problem of redhead discrimination. There are many articles on the site containing examples of redhead prejudice used within mainstream media.
This is a dedicated LiveJournal account for Gingerism.com so please add me as a friend if you'd like to get regular updates here. Alternatively we're at http://twitter.com/gingerism
I'd love to hear your thoughts on any article!
|Tuesday, November 4th, 2008|
|Monday, September 29th, 2008|
Roodharigen: Redhead Day (Breda)
Pictures from what I think may be the largest redhead convention in the world, yet. It takes place the first Friday of every September in Breda (about an hour from Amsterdam). This year there were 3,600 at the photo shoot. Go here
if you would like to learn more an attend next year's festival( PicturesCollapse )
|Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008|
|Sunday, February 17th, 2008|
|Sunday, December 9th, 2007|
My brothers and sisters in red!
Being that we all share the common interest that is out redheadness.. I thought that you should all visit and join redhedd.com. It's much like myspace, only for redheads! Because it is not well-known there are only about 2,000 members and everyone there is very friendly and incredibly awesome. We'd LOVE to see you all there!
|Thursday, October 25th, 2007|
Red-headed Neanderthals? DNA says yes: studyhttp://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071025/sc_afp/scienceneanderthalsus;_ylt=AgDzU2a4liCMVPiiRT9TgzADW7oF
Thu Oct 25, 4:42 PM ET
CHICAGO (AFP) - Some of our cave-dwelling Neanderthal relatives probably had red hair and fair complexions, much like modern-day humans of Celtic origin, according to a study released Thursday.
The finding comes from the first such analysis of DNA evidence taken from Neanderthal fossils recovered from El Sidron in northern Spain and Monti Lessini, Italy.
An analysis of the DNA revealed the ancient hominids carried a mutation in the MC1R gene that codes for a protein involved in the production of melanin -- a substance that gives skin its color and also protects it against ultraviolet light.
In modern humans, primarily of European descent, mutations in the MC1R gene are thought to be responsible for red hair and pale skin by dampening the activity of the protein.( Read more...Collapse )
|Monday, August 6th, 2007|
|Thursday, December 7th, 2006|
hey every one! im new here so i just thought id post a hello :D , im a natural redhead from newzealand , hope all is well
xx Current Mood: cheerful
|Tuesday, November 21st, 2006|
aha! I KNEW it!
I found a picture of me as a kid. go look.
I am a for-real, authentic, certifiable redhead... take THAT! everyone who would try to call me blonde! :-P Current Mood: glee!
|Sunday, November 12th, 2006|
I hope I make the cut...
The vast majority of people who look at me think I'm a blonde, since my hair is not AS red as "redhead" is considered. But it IS that brassy yellow that red hair tends to lighten to in the summer. And when it grows out of my head, every 10th strand is metallic red/copper. And if I try to bleach it, it lightens to pumpkin ORANGE. I also have blue-white transparent thin skin that sunburns in under 5-10 minutes, have extremely sensitive skin that reacts to the smallest of stimuli, but still have a high pain tolerance, and I bleed like a hemophiliac. My father, his brother, and their father are all natural redheads. EVERYONE else in both my mom and dad's families are brunettes. So I think I'm a redhead.This is a post I made in my own LJ a while ago:
there has been some discussion about whether I'm a blonde or a redhead
I maintain that I am a redhead based on the following:
- my skin is so pale it is translucent, which makes my blue veins highly visible and also any high levels of bloodflow coming to the surface of my skin
- I am particularly susceptible to fast and severe sunburn (in 5-10 minutes)
- I have very sensitive skin (sensitive to allergens and irritations, etc)
- I have freckles and moles (really dark freckles)
- I am more sensitive/susceptible to thermal pain (burns)
- I require greater amounts of anaesthesia than the average person (just ask my dentist and the hospital who put me under to yank all 4 of my wisdom teeth)
- I have a greater than average pain tolerance (again, ask my dentist)
- my body hair is so pale blonde that it is nearly invisible
- my eyes range from light blue to turquoise to navy, and are extremely light-sensitive
- my dad, his brother, and their father all have red hair that was BRIGHT red in youth and has darkened to auburn as they aged
- my mother's father had bright blonde hair, and my mother's mother has black hair (blonde + black usually = red)
- my family origins are in Europe (particularly England and Scotland and Germany/Poland)
- as a child, my hair was WHITE-blonde, as a teenager my hair was YELLOW-blonde, now it is darkening and 1 out of every 10 strands is metallic RED
- every time I try to bleach my hair, it ends up ORANGE (blue is the first pigment to lift out of hair, then red, and lastly yellow)
- when dyed improperly, red hair tends to go dark green (I'm not 100% sure about this, does anyone care to confirm or refute?)
which is supported by the following:biochemistry & genetics of redheadshigher pain tolerancebut more sensitive and require more anaestheticredheads more susceptible to skin cancerthere are redheads in my dad's side of the family redhead geneticsless medically-sound evidencestarts out light, but gets technicalmakeup for redheadsskin type I
interesting fact: less than 2% of the planet's population are redheads
|Friday, February 10th, 2006|
hi! i just joined. im going to get a cut and color tomorrow and thought i should post a before pic....here it is....be gentle...( currentCollapse )
|Saturday, December 24th, 2005|
|Thursday, December 22nd, 2005|
Hello fellow rangas ...
Am embracing my hair colour a bit and recently it seems to be the subject of most of my photographs ...( For example ...Collapse )
Look forward to more posting and viewing!
|Friday, December 16th, 2005|
New member here! X3 I was so happy to find another redhead community on LJ!
Has everyone joined the redheaded men fanlisting, btw? If not, you should check it out!http://fan.saint-beast.net/redheads
I know there's more than 6 fans out there! @_@
|Wednesday, November 9th, 2005|
|Friday, October 14th, 2005|
I'm new here. ^_^
I'm nineteen years old and from NJ. I'm a natural-born redhead - the only one in my entire family. No one's quite sure where it came from... we suspect a great-grandmother may have had it under the layers of dyed hair. (Why anyone would dye their red hair is beyond me...)
I'm a writer of fiction and non, as well as poetry. I'm an artist, I play basketball, take karate (a green belt, and I've broken boards and bricks with my hand), and love web design. I work at Babies R Us as a supervisor for a living. ^_^( And now... Pictures!Collapse )
And there you go! Current Mood: cheerful
|Thursday, August 25th, 2005|
|Wednesday, August 17th, 2005|
|Tuesday, August 2nd, 2005|